Singapore is ranked 11th internationally and first in Asia on the UN Human Development Index. It is ranked highly in education, healthcare, life expectancy, quality of life, personal safety, and housing, but does not fare well on the Democracy index. There are four official languages on the island: Malay, Mandarin, Tamil and English. English is its common language; most Singaporeans are bilingual.
Top reasons to study in Singapore-
With international student mobility ballooning by the day, students are increasingly taking the off-beat track to explore fresh destinations that promise not just an education but a new and wholesome experience. The city-state of Singapore offers just that. Known for its diverse population and strict corporate culture, the island country sizzles in hyper activity and enjoys its reputation as the financial centre of Southeast Asia.
1. Popular student city: Ranked among the top 5 student cities in Asia, Singapore is all that an international student demands on the platter. A rapidly blossoming economy, Singapore offers a slew of new age institutions which includes its own universities in addition to subsidiaries of international universities. Singapore provides the perfect platform for students to fulfill their academic as well as adventurous side.
2. Exchange students: Singapore is the perfect place to experience global education. Not just inside the classrooms, its eclectic bunch of students assures you an international education experience. Given its perfect setting as an international student city, the country attracts a lot of student through exchange programs.
3. Quality institutions: While Singapore is definitely one of the leading study destinations of Asia, it has also made its mark in the international arena with a slew of high ranked universities.
4. Experience the Singaporean campus life: Singapore is famous not just for its technology driven education but also for the exciting campus life that it ensures. So, whether you are interested in sports or drama, the Singaporean campus life will accommodate all your hobbies.
5. Comfortable living: One of the areas where Singapore scores points is the high standard of living offered in the country. This is one of the reasons why outlanders from all over the world move to Singapore. In fact, Singapore is regarded as the easiest city to adjust in Asia, specifically for international students. Being home to a large number of foreigners, the well-known financial centre of Asia also offers a diverse background for international students.
Singapore offers students a unique learning experience as they receive a perfect blend of social, cultural and educational mix. In addition the country offers the sophistication of modern living making Singapore truly vibrant and cosmopolitan. Quite a number of students these days are opting to study in Singapore.
As a world leader in research and innovation, Singapore stands as a premier education hub with its world class universities offering international students quality education at an affordable cost. Singapore had earned the third place in the 2013 QS Best Student Cities thus reflecting the country’s combination of highly ranked universities along with a diverse student community and high quality of life.
Students considering Singapore as their academic destination are recommended to begin the application procedure 8-12 months prior to the intake. Scholarship deadlines vary amongst institutions. Being aware of the education costs in Singapore is important, if you are considering Singapore as your overseas studying destination. Cost of higher education in Singapore is quite affordable if you compare it to the UK or the US.
1. What are the employment opportunities?
Singapore is very particular about students’ employments who are studying in its institutions. Jobs are available to students who are enrolled only in universities and polytechnic institutions. But students who study in Private institutions aren’t entitled to work part time during their course duration. Students who study in universities and polytechnic institutes are entitled to work for almost 16 hours a week during semesters, however they are allowed to work for full time during semester breaks. Full time employment in Singapore is always precious for international students as it opens out a new world in front of them which extends its wings wide into global arena. Singapore, as earlier discussed, has become a center for South East Asia and this provides ample opportunities for Students who study in Singapore institutions to get employed more likely.
2. How to obtain a Green Card?
Nationals from the following nationalities are eligible to apply for permanent residence:
P, Q and S work pass holders (Professional, Technical, and Skilled workers), Investors, and Entrepreneurs can apply for permanent residence of Singapore.
3. What is the Education System in Singapore?
Singapore’s educational institutions are of two types. They are Private Education Organizations and Universities.
4. How to apply for a Singapore University?
Intakes in Singapore are very recurrent and frequent. Though Universities offer very less intakes a year like in August and February, Private institutes go to an extent of offering multiple intakes in a year like January, February, August, September etc.